Sunday, September 14, 2008

My daughter is pretty cool!

I was pretty emotional this week, with the anniversary of 9/11 and all. I recorded the actual coverage from MSNBC for S and I to watch together. I think she is old enough to talk about what happened. She was 4 1/2 when it happened and remembers a little bit about that day but I wanted to have an in depth talk with her about it. I, of course cried most of the way through it. She was sad when she watched it too, but in a different way. More apalled at it I guess, as I was thinking of all the kids who now have one less parent (or maybe even 2). It opened up some great conversation between us for sure. She asked if Bin Laden really did that and I told her that we believed he masterminded it and that he has taken "credit" for it, she then asked where he was hiding and I told her we think he is in Afgahnistan. She looked at me and I could see her wheels turning and then she asked "Well, then why are our troops in Iraq?" Uh....well, how do I explain something I don't understand myself?! We went on to talk more about that day and how horrible it was and how beautiful the memorial at the Pentagon is. I explained to her how lucky she is to have 2 parents raising her and how sad some of the kids back East lost a parent that day and how it must have affected them. She is pretty cool to talk to, she isn't a baby anymore and she has lots of her own opinions, not all do I agree with, but those of you that know me well know that that is just fine by me...just means she and I can have some great debates as she grows up!

No comments: